Hazard was just a drop, but...
THE problem may have been only miniscule, but they still weren't taking any risks.
Six firefighters, a pumper and a hazardous materials vehicle were dispatched from Coffs Harbour Fire Station to Harbour Drive on Tuesday to investigate an unusual find.
A walker had reported a substance which looked like mercury on the footpath near the Boambee Street intersection.
Fire crews arrived to discover that's exactly what it was, about a teaspoonful of the toxic substance to be precise.
They donned protective gear and carefully scooped it into a glass jar and took it to the Coffs Harbour City Council laboratory for safe disposal.
Fire station commander, Geoff Peacock, reminded residents to contact 000 and ask for the fire brigade if they discovered suspicious substances.
"We've got the resources to deal with it," Mr Peacock said.
"Anything like that, we're ready to respond.
"A good percentage of the calls we get throughout the year are for hazardous materials."