D-Day for harbour
AFTER years of debate, hundreds of meetings and thousands of submissions, a report with recommendations on future development in the harbour precinct will be up for approval by Coffs Harbour City Council at their July 19 meeting.
General manager Steve Sawtell said it had been a long haul, but last Tuesday night the Strategic Planning Group met with representatives from Streets Ahead, Landcare and the Chamber of Commerce, with two representatives from the Jetty Action Group sitting in on the discussion.
They went through the results of consultation on the Harbourside Concepts Document from late 2006 to early 2007 to prepare a report to be presented to council on July 19.
"We also identified changes to the Harbour Plan in order to move into the future," Mr Sawtell said.
Council executive manager of business units and director of the Harbourside Project, Col Spring, said the report yet to be written would make recommendations to council about where to go from here, taking consultation results into account.
"There was not a good result in relation to numbers," he said of the response to the earlier concept plan.
"There were very few people who actually read the concept document that was available during the exhibition period. It was a little disappointing that a lot of the comment was in relation to what people read in the media as opposed to what was in the document."
Mr Spring said council would determine its position in relation to Jetty Oval and Englands Park at the July 19 meeting.
"I think we can find a way that everyone will be happy with," he said.
Jetty Action Group spokesperson Wayne Evans said members were outraged.
"The Department of Lands and Coffs Harbour City Council have trivialised and ignored 2500 submissions to the Harbourside Project Concept Plan," he said.