Coffs Show called off after row with trust
COFFS Harbour Show Society President Darren Scells has confirmed that the 2008 Coffs Harbour Show planned for April 25-27 has been postponed after a meeting yesterday.
Mr Scells said this was 'for financial and other reasons.'
The administrator of the Showground Trust has presented the Show Society with a bill for more than $37,000, which includes $20,900 for office services.
The Show Society says it put $100,000 into the Norm Jordan Pavilion and paid $9000 in the last two years to install vertical blinds as well as paying for other improvements.
Show Society Secretary Lorraine Tibbs said the matter had been going on since November; it would take at least three weeks to a month to fix up the Showground's Apex building as a new Show office and they had simply run out of time.
There will be a Show Society working bee from 8.30am on Sunday to clean out show jumps and other equipment from underneath the Showground broadcast box.
The Society has been given until Monday to remove the jumps.
Ms Tibbs said everyone was welcome.
The Society is also looking for somewhere to store the jumps.
The Member for Coffs Harbour, Andrew Fraser, said he was dismayed by the Show postponement.
"This is a huge blow to the people of Coffs Harbour," Mr Fraser said.
"Despite assurances from a spokesperson for the administrators of the Showground Trust that outstanding issues were open to negotiation, it appears that the Trust has failed to budge on anything and the Show Society finds that they are just unable to meet the financial demands of the Trust."