Cheap light expensive



THE tiny night light seemed harmless enough until it sparked neardisaster for Coffs Harbour's Sandra Los.

Sandra had just gone off to sleep at her Cassandra Close home at 12.15am on Saturday when shrilling smoke alarms alerted her to trouble.

She blearily opened her bedroom door and saw smoke filling the house, where her son, Peter, and grandson, Justin, had also been sleeping.

She grabbed a tea towel and covered the source of the fire, a malfunctioning night light which had been plugged into a kitchen powerpoint.

The flames could have easily spread had it not been for Sandra's quick response, and those lifesaving smoke detectors.

"Someone was looking after us," she said.

Sandra will have to attend to some home improvements in the wake of the fire ? a new benchtop, new wall tiles, a new paint job for her kitchen roof and wall, and possibly a new shelf.

She now regrets buying three cheap night lights from a market stall earlier this year.

They had come with no brand name, but she considered them a steal at only $3 each.



BOIL OVER: Ghosts out as Sea Eagles swoop on decider

BOIL OVER: Ghosts out as Sea Eagles swoop on decider

GROUP 2 field good story rolls into the grand final.

'Heartbreaking': Kelpie becomes casualty of drought

'Heartbreaking': Kelpie becomes casualty of drought

Beloved family pet and farm dog stranded in Coffs.

Local nurse is the best in the world

premium_icon Local nurse is the best in the world

Maiysha Craig wins World martial arts title

Local Partners