Beer truck loses trailer at Pine Creek
By JENI FAULKNER
THE Pine Creek death toll miraculously didn't reach eight this week despite an accident involving a B-double and a car on Thursday night.
The incident blocked the Pacific Highway for two hours and traffic was then diverted before the highway was fully opened after an eight-hour clean-up.
The accident occurred at 11.30pm on Thursday night after a B-double travelling south lost its back trailer.
Acting Chief Inspector Stuart Taylor, from Coffs Harbour Police, said the truck and first trailer travelled a further 200 metres before stopping.
The trailer left behind covered both the northern and southern lanes of the bend at Pine Creek.
Police said a Proton sedan travelling north then collided with the trailer. The driver, a woman, 28, was not hurt.
Insp Taylor said the trailer contained cartons of VB beer which were strewn across the road and the highway was completely blocked until 1.30am yesterday.
One lane was then opened and traffic flow was controlled by the RTA. The Pacific Highway was fully re-opened at 8am.
Police said it was fortunate that no-one was injured in the accident. Their inquiries are continuing.
Member for Coffs Harbour Andrew Fraser, who this week met with NSW Roads Minister Michael Costa to discuss Pine Creek, said this accident only highlighted the dangers.
"We must have immediate measures in place for this ridiculous stretch of road," Mr Fraser said. "If the road needs widening, do it and get barriers put up immediately."
"There doesn't need to be any investigation, these things just need to be done."
"It was good luck, not good management, that no-one was killed in this accident."
At the meeting earlier this week, Mr Costa instructed the RTA to investigate installing extra safety measures at Pine Creek. These include steel posts and wire fencing down the middle of the highway at Pine Creek and also at parts of the highway between Coffs Harbour and Woolgoolga.