All-year swimming for all
THE transformation of Coffs Harbour’s war memorial swimming pool into an all-weather, heated aquatic centre is on in earnest.
The $5.2 million project is due for completion, weather permitting, by the end of October.
The redevelopment will give the Coff Street complex a heated, Olympic-sized pool which will be open year-round.
It will also allow the city to host teams preparing for international events along with national amateur events.
Funding for the project has come from the Federal Government’s economic stimulus package, a donation from Barbara and the late Allen Hogbin, the Coffs Coast State Park Trust and in-kind support from the city council.
The upgrade includes:
- construction of an enclosed heated 25-metre six-lane wet deck pool with a teaching ledge and disabled access ramp, with heating of up to 30 degrees Celsius;
- installation of a zero-depth kiddies ‘splash pad’ with interactive water toy equipment and soft-fall surface;
- renovation of the 50-metre pool to international-standard dimensions, allowing for wet deck gutters on both sides;
- installation of a new water treatment plant complying with NSW Health requirements;
- renovation of the existing plant room; and
- refurbishment of the existing balance tank.