A HARBOUR Dr building block was evacuated early this morning after a fire gutted a third floor unit.

NSW Fire and Rescue crews received the call at 2.20am and arrived at the scene about 2.30am.

According to a NSW Fire and Rescue Media spokesman, the unit was well alight by the time two crews from Coffs Harbour and one from Sawtell arrived.

He said the unit was severely damaged despite crews getting the blaze under control "quickly".

The spokesman said crews were "blacking out" the fire at 2.45am.

It is understood the fire was caused by an unattended candle.

Police attended the scene and helped evacuate about 50 residents from the building.

NSW Ambulance paramedics were also at the scene.



Check out these North Coast builds up for awards

Premium Content Check out these North Coast builds up for awards

Aged care creativity and affordable hilltop build showcases regional class

WHAT’S ON: 15 things to do on the Coffs Coast this week

Premium Content WHAT’S ON: 15 things to do on the Coffs Coast this week

Your weekly go-to guide for Coffs Coast events.

BEHIND THE DESK: Should more leagues play in conferences?

Premium Content BEHIND THE DESK: Should more leagues play in conferences?

COVID-19 restrictions have forced a geographical split, but is it for better, or...