A three-peat performance

COFFS Harbour has scored the biggest goal of the National Youth Championships for Girls by being reappointed host city for another three-year term.

The announcement was made during the opening ceremony of the Football Federation Australia (FFA) tournament at BCU International Stadium on Saturday and extends the current contract until 2011.

FFA's Head of Game Development Matt Bulkeley said the decision was a major coup for Coffs Harbour and for Northern New South Wales football.

“The Championships bring over 500 players into the North Coast for both the Girls and Boys Nationals, plus families and officials,” he said.

“The Boys have their turn here in Coffs Harbour next October and this is the pinnacle of junior football in Australia.”

The Championships provide a showcase of the best junior players around the nation and gives the FFA the perfect vehicle from which to select the next generation of men's and women's national squads.

Operations manager for Northern NSW Football and championships co-ordinator Alan Nisbet said the announcement was welcomed by players and officials alike.

“This is arguably the best facility for football in the State,” he said.

“The feedback from the FFA, players and officials was that the benchmark had been set in Coffs Harbour in relation to the stadium facilities, the quality of the playing surface and the overall management of the event.

“We look forward to being able to continue for another three years playing a key role in the development of these young players by hosting them at a facility that is worthy of a tournament of this significance.”



Those rainy day savers now suffering from drought

Those rainy day savers now suffering from drought

If you feel it's harder to save these days you're right on the money

Basins are holding back a deluge of floodwater

Basins are holding back a deluge of floodwater

Flood study for Coffs Creek catchment goes out for public review.

Local Partners