Menu
Lifestyle

Standoff as childcare proposal set to gut social programs

A COMING political stand-off has emerged over an $850 million Abbott government Budget proposal to fund childcare for disadvantaged families around the country.

Only days out from the government's second Budget, Social Services Minister Scott Morrison announced the funding yesterday.

The funds would be made up of an additional $327 million over four years to provide extra support for disadvantaged families - contingent on the redirection of more than $500 million from existing social programs and the passage through Parliament of changes proposed in last year's Budget.

Mr Morrison said the extra support would help families on incomes below $60,000 a year, those facing financial risk and those with children with disabilities or at risk of abuse.

Although Labor spokeswoman Jenny Macklin said any extra funding was welcome, the Opposition also vowed to block any measures to cut existing programs to fund the government's proposal.

With the Opposition vowing not to pass the measure, the government will be forced to negotiate with the Greens and other Senate cross benchers.

Existing community support programs, the Special Childcare Benefit, and the Jobs, Education and Training Childcare Fee Assistance Program would be cut under the government's proposal.

Replacing them would be the new "childcare safety net" - comprising a new childcare subsidy, "inclusion support program", community childcare fund and "additional childcare subsidy".

Those programs would variously fund the training for childcare centre staff, additional short-term financial support for families experiencing "financial hardship" and lower cost services for indigenous families and low income households in rural and remote areas.

While politicians argued about the details, the childcare workers' union, United Voice, backed the government's plans.

Assistant national secretary Helen Gibbons said the plans would help children access services and reduce childcare waiting lists.

Topics:  childcare federalbudget2015-16



Car destroyed after it was left on roadside engulfed in fire

CAR FIRE: Firefighters from Sawtell were called to a burning Ford Falcon left on the side of Hulberts Rd, Sawtell on Sunday, February 18, 2018.

WATCH: Firefighters tackle car blaze late last night

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

Coffs sisters battle it out on My Kitchen Rules

Sisters Georgie, 25, and Alicia, 30 from Coffs Harbour will compete in tonight's episode of My Kitchen Rules

Local sisters bring 'modern take' on Asian cuisine to national TV.

Local Partners

‘Live maggots’ found in ALDI food

THE NSW woman was expecting a delightful dessert. Instead, she says she discovers live maggots wriggling in her food.

Poll shows 90% have considered a blockade

The Princes Freeway, from the Point Wilson overpass. Picture: Mitch Bear

"DO SOMETHING, do not just talk about it."

Coast snake-catcher has scarily close encounter

CLOSE CALL: Max Jackson's face-to-face with a snake.

VIDEO: Watch the moment a snake lands on the man's face

The four different types of drinkers

New research has found that there are four different types of drinkers.

Ever stopped to consider why it is you choose to drink?

Blitzes to continue despite industry concerns

NEXT ONE: NSW Police have announced a sequel to Operation Rolling Thunder.

"Drivers are absolutely fed up”

Beloved family pup baited in South Mackay

Staffordshire bull terrier Toby, who was allegedly baited in South Mackay on Friday.

Police investigating after pup given rat poison

Alice Springs is the new motoring mecca for testing

Hyundai i30 was tested at Alice Springs.

Alice Springs has becomes new test location for foreign carmakers.