News

Supermarket evacuated after fire scare

FIRE SCARE: Staff and shoppers were evacuated from Coffs Harbour's Woolworth's supermarket this morning.
FIRE SCARE: Staff and shoppers were evacuated from Coffs Harbour's Woolworth's supermarket this morning. FRANK REDWARD

A COFFS Harbour supermarket was evacuated after a fire scare this morning.

Staff and early morning shoppers at Woolworths in Park Ave were ordered out of the supermarket after the fire alarm was raised around 6.30am.

NSW Fire and Rescue crews from the Coffs Harbour Fire Station were told smoke filled the upstairs section of the building, just after the store had opened.  

Fire Station Officer Matt Malone said investigations found the pall of smoke came from the store's air conditioning.

Firefighters identified a faulty air conditioner belt as the cause.

The supermarket has since reopened.

Topics:  evacuation, woolworths




Looking to sell your property? Post a Property online

Call 1300 136 181 or post your listing online now.


Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.