ONE of Coffs Harbour's best known characters has been rewarded in the Queens Birthday honours list for a lifetime of community service.
High-profile veterinarian Dr Garth McGilvray has been named a Member (AM) in the general division of the Order of Australia and while he's retired from day-to-day general practice, retains a hands-on role as managing director of animal supplies firm Provet.
This week, Dr McGilvray flew overseas but was the subject of a Coffs Coast Advocate 'Most Interesting Person' profile last December where he told writer Stephanie Hunt his success as a businessman was a personal surprise.
"I just got lucky," he said.
"I never really set out to achieve anything other than to get to university."
The Park Avenue business which eventually became Pacific Vetcare (before relocation and expansion at Coffs Jetty) saw Garth and wife Sue joined by professional partners over the years, making them all among the best known faces in the city.
A dedicated sailor, Garth has raced in both the Sydney to Hobart and Pittwater to Coffs Harbour classics.
Dr Garth Alexander McGilvray AM
For service to veterinary science, particularly through the development of national registration accreditation policy, and as a practitioner.
- Former Councillor, World Veterinary Association.
- Chairman, Australasian Veterinary Boards Council, 2002-2003 and 2007-2008; Member, Executive Committee, 2002-2008; Chair, National Registration Working Party, 2006; Board Member, since 1999.
- President, Australian Veterinary Association, 1999-2001; Vice-President.
- Member, National Industry Advisory Group for Veterinary Nursing.
- President, Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW, 2003-2009; Member, from 1993.
- Chair, Alumni Steering Group, Veterinary Science Foundation, University of Sydney.
- Founding Member and former President, North Coast Branch, Australian Veterinary Association; former Secretary.
- Honorary Veterinarian, Coffs Harbour Race Club, 1973-2007; Board Member, 1973-1983; Judge, 1973-1989.
- Honorary Veterinarian, Coffs Harbour Show Society, for 35 years.
- Former President, Coffs Harbour RSPCA; Veterinarian and Member, since 1973.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.