LOCAL Federal MP Luke Hartsuyker has welcomed Tony Abbott's commitment to create one million jobs within five years as part of a Coalition plan for a strong and prosperous economy and a safe and secure Australia.
Mr Abbott said the jobs will be created through a number of measures which the Leader of the Opposition has committed to.
- Abolishing the current price on carbon. Government figures show such a step would would add a cumulative $1 trillion to GDP by 2050;
- Scrapping the Minerals Resource Rent Tax and restoring Australia's reputation as a safe place to invest;
- Removing $1 billion a year of red tape costs from business and implementing a Deregulation Reform Agenda to lift national productivity;
- Ending Labor's waste and bringing the Budget back under control, taking needless pressure off taxes and interest rates;
- Removing export bottlenecks by investing in the major infrastructure that Australia needs.
Mr Hartsuyker said Mr Abbott's commitment to building a strong economy would help to create local jobs.
"Many areas on the New South Wales North Coast have an unemployment rate which is above the national average, so I welcome Tony Abbott's commitment to employment growth," he said.
"Business and consumer confidence is low right across the North Coast. Employers, employees and their families are suffering from huge increases in the cost of living and the reality is that the Gillard Government's policies are making a bad situation worse.
"The Coalition understands how lower taxes, more efficient government and more productive businesses can deliver a strong and prosperous economy and raise living standards.
"The last Coalition government created 2.4 million jobs, oversaw a 21 per cent increase in real wages and resulted in Australian households experiencing a near tripling in net household wealth.
"In the past 18 months the Labor/Independent/Green Government has presided over the weakest jobs growth in more than a decade.
"The Coalition has a proud record of delivering strong economic management and economic growth. We have done it before and we are committed to eliminating Labor's waste and mismanagement."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.