A MAKE of DVD player that exploded in a girl's lap was one of 116 products recalled by Australia's consumer watchdog in the last three months of 2012.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said almost 200,000 DVD players, which were Dick Smith and Big W AWA-branded models, were recalled in the December quarter.
ACCC deputy chair Delia Rickard said the recalled DVD players had the potential to overheat and explode.
"Last year, a Victorian girl suffered serious burns to her hands and face when one of these DVD players exploded on her lap during a car trip," Ms Rickard said.
In all, more than 2.4 million individual products were recalled in the three-month period.
This included thousands of motor vehicles, including RAV4, Ford Escape SUV and Mazda Tribute models.
Further, tens of thousands of child restraint anchor bolts were also recalled in the last quarter of 2012.
"These cars had defects that could lead to loss of control while driving so I would urge anyone with these cars to check the Recalls Australia website for more information," Ms Rickard said.
"The child restraint bolts, supplied with major child seat and baby capsule brands including IGC Dorel, Tomy Australia and Como Baby, could fail in the event of an accident, causing injury to the child.
"If you find you have an affected kit or bracket, stop using it immediately and arrange to receive a replacement product."
Ms Rickard said of the 2.4 million products removed from the marketplace, almost half came from recalls negotiated between the ACCC and suppliers.
"These negotiations were triggered by a range of factors, including consumer complaints, mandatory injury reports and ACCC product safety surveillance," she said.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.